[tex-live] scheme modern

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Jan 6 13:25:16 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 12:44:48PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:06, Arno Trautmann wrote:
> >
> > And there begin the problems …
> > Either one removes radically all packages that are not needed with
> > Xe/lua, or it will indeed result in an only slightly smaller full
> > installation.
> > Regarding Zdeneks comment: Even if not much disk space will be saved,
> > there could be saved a larger /number/ of packages.
>
> My experience with size of (ConTeXt) installation is the following:
> - 1/3 of size taken by binaries
> - 1/3 of size taken by old fonts
> - 1/3 of size taken by new fonts + macros combined
>
> In LaTeX the ratios must be different, but you would spare most disk
> size by not shipping any tfm/vf/map/enc files for "modern" TeX
> (texmf-dist/fonts contains 1GB, while opentype subfolder only has 70
> MB; at least in my installation which might be incomplete; but then it
> is also true that many fonts simply don't exist in OpenType format).
> However:
> - then you will not be able to process anyone's files at all
> - XeTeX still depends on cmr fonts I would guess; and it's the same
> situation with many other aspects of a modern installation
> - in order to really spare space and not ship font files (like in
> Antykwa Torunska or Poltawskiego where there are both OpenType and
> Type1 versions of fonts), one would need to split font packages in
> non-trivial ways (most tfm files are not needed at all, but rm-lmr12
> is since it is used in math; at least until Latin Modern releases an
> OpenType Math font)

I'd keep only cm and drop any type1/tfm font that has an opentype
version. For lm math, I think we should make next texlive our target for
first release :) (I'd like to help if there is anything I can;
bootstrapping an initial version should be trivial; I already have some
custom scripts that imports almost all tfm math stuff to opentype math).

If one needs another exotic font for some reason he can then install
it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--