[tex-live] scheme modern

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Jan 6 12:40:04 CET 2011

Am Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:55:08 +0100 schrieb Arno Trautmann:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if it might be considered for the next TeXlive (2011 I
> hope) to provide an installation scheme "modern". This could be a scheme
> providing everything needed to work with, say, XeLaTeX, luaLaTeX,
> ConTeXt Mk IV etc. but drops a (quite large) number of old, deprecated
> packages (e.g. inputenc/fontenc for LaTeX).

fontspec needs (and loads fontenc) and use it to setup the fonts:
While the normal use of fontenc is to declare 8-bit font encodings
it can naturally also be used to setup other encodings like the
unicode-oriented encodings EU1 (for xelatex) and EU2 (for lualatex).
When the needed fd-files are present you can use the open type
directly with fontenc:

\documentclass[]{scrartcl}
\usepackage[EU1]{fontenc}%xelatex, uses fd-files from euenc
\begin{document}
hallo
\end{document}

So fontenc is perhaps old but certainly not deprecated.

--
Ulrike Fischer