[tex-live] scheme modern

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:00:46 CET 2011

On 6 January 2011 09:55, Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> I was wondering if it might be considered for the next TeXlive (2011 I
> hope) to provide an installation scheme "modern". This could be a scheme
> providing everything needed to work with, say, XeLaTeX, luaLaTeX,
> ConTeXt Mk IV etc. but drops a (quite large) number of old, deprecated
> packages (e.g. inputenc/fontenc for LaTeX). That would allow to use the
> most recent developments without installing the full schem and blocking
> disk space by packages that will never be used again.
> (I'm /not/ suggesting to drop those packages at all from TeXlive!)
>
> I sure don't expect an implementation in the next days but rather some
> comments on this.

I quite like the idea.  I'm not sure if I would drop inputenc/fontenc.
 I would see such a scheme as an amalgam of recommended and most used
packages.  Technically making such a scheme is a piece of cake for us,
the difficult part is to come up with a list of packages/collections
from texlive.tlpdb that should go into it.  Anyone cares to make such
a list (hint: start with one of the existing schemes and add/remove
from it)?

Cheers,

Tomek