[tex-live] scheme modern

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 10:55:08 CET 2011

Hi all,

I was wondering if it might be considered for the next TeXlive (2011 I
hope) to provide an installation scheme "modern". This could be a scheme
providing everything needed to work with, say, XeLaTeX, luaLaTeX,
ConTeXt Mk IV etc. but drops a (quite large) number of old, deprecated
packages (e.g. inputenc/fontenc for LaTeX). That would allow to use the
most recent developments without installing the full schem and blocking
disk space by packages that will never be used again.
(I'm /not/ suggesting to drop those packages at all from TeXlive!)

I sure don't expect an implementation in the next days but rather some
comments on this.

cheers
Arno