[tex-live] catalogue metadata usage in texdoc (was: texdoc index)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Dec 30 14:35:29 CET 2011

Hi Reinhard,

a lot of nice words and ideas like ...

> If texdoc is supposed to rely on the catalogue entirely, a few things
> have to be done.  First we need clear specifications.  Maybe we need a
> small working group.

But .... can we take a practical approach? We do not need a tool that in 100% gives the right thing, if we reach 95 or 99% that would by far be enough.

Now I don't have mycomputer with me, but I guess that if you write a script that lists you for all TLpackages the file choosen by texdoc, and make a statistic, I'm quite sure that there are a few cases that are wrong. And foxing these cases by exception handling is much easier than a *WORKING GROUP*!!!

So, instead of habing written a long long email, why don't you commit a fix for the malfunctioning of psnfss or vntex or both? It costs a tenth of the time compared to your long email and fixes a minimal annoyance instead of creating more and more complex things.

Norbert