[tex-live] texdoc question

tobig hangontheglock at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 27 22:03:26 CET 2011

Am 27.12.2011 um 20:59 schrieb Joel C. Salomon:

> What is the mechanism that TeXdoc uses to open (say) PDF files with
> the system default viewer?  On my Ubuntu system, this has stopped
> working, instead opening with Nautilus (the file manage) the directory
> in which the PDF file lives.
>
> This is *not* a texdoc bug -- other programs have developed this issue
> as well.  I'm just not able to report the bug to the right people
> until I learn what TeXdoc is expecting.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks,
> --Joel

try texdoc -v latex (or sth else)
It will give you some Information about the string, which is handed to the shell. I have no Ubuntu running in the moment but my Mac says "texdoc info: View comand: open "path/to/manual""
(open is a NeXtStep specific mechanism which  automatically chooses the right application (see i say application not app))

additional information are available thru "texdoc texdoc" and "texdoc -f" (the config files)
grz tobias