[tex-live] TeX capacity exceeded

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 11:36:02 CET 2011

Bernhard Kleine <bernhard.kleine at gmx.net> wrote:

> I got stuck with the above error. I have 16 chapters all \included into
> the main document. Any chapter by itself with the frontmatter and the
> backmatter compiles well, the file where PDFLaTeX gets stuck compiles
> well by itself. I am thus convinced that I really have a memory problem
> and not missing braces.
> Years ago usings tetex I could enhance memory by changing in texmf.d
> individual counters and generate format files. Since I changed to
> texlive and etex in 2007, there has been no further need to manipulate
> these conf-files.
>
> Where and how do I provide more memory for PDFLaTeX in texlive 2011.

you don't mention what sort of memory -- from the tex book:

  "the message will tell you what part of tex's memory has become
  overloaded; one of the following fourteen things will be mentioned:

    number of strings
    pool size
    main memory size
    hash size
    font memory
    exception dictionary (highly unlikely)
    input stack size (quite possible)
    semantic nest size
    parameter stack size
    buffer size
    save size
    tex input levels (also possible)
    grouping levels
    pattern memory (highly unlikely)

which of the above is shown in the error message?  where is latex "in
the document" when the message appears?

in general, see http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=erroradvice

(which doesn't have that list -- perhaps i might add it with some sort
of ranking, as i've done above.)

robin