[tex-live] TexLive2011: mktexlsr appends new directories to the end of ls-R?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 5 01:10:27 CEST 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

    after updating to TeXLive2011, I have installed a new typeface in a
    subdirectory of texmf-local,

Did you run updmap, and if so, with what arguments?

    With the result that XeTeX will not find the typeface!

Please tell me your .tex input file, ie, how you are looking up the font.
XeTeX can do so in several ways, after all.

    Huh?

Exactly.  I do not recall kpathsea depending on alphabetical order.
ls-R is turned into a hash table, after all.

If xetex or xdvipdfmx reads ls-R directly, I wasn't aware of this.

    After moving the subdirectory to its correct place in alphabetical
    order in the ls-R file with a text editor, the typeface is found.

Please send me your "bad" ls-R and the "good" ls-R, so I don't have to
guess at how to track it down.

Thanks for the report,
karl