[tex-live] Real Helvetica?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 11:03:39 CEST 2010

2010/9/22 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> On 21 September 2010 Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > The truth is that Helvetica in device A _IS_NOT_EQUAL_ to Helvetica
>  > in device B.
>
> Sure.  It's preferred to embed all fonts (default in TeX Live).
>
> I assumed that Mark was forced to use Helvetica.  Otherwise it doesn't
> make any sense, especially because TeX Gyre Heros exists.

OK, there is a way how to do it temporarily if someone is forced. Look
at http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb27-1/ and read Font
installation the shallow way by Siep Kroonenberg. The trick is that
you make your own map file for Helvetica (or whatever) that will not
contain the file names, just the PS names. You then use \pdfmapfile
command in pdftex to read this file which will replace the map
installed in TL just temporarily for this document. You thus can
create PDF with true Helvetica without embeding it but do not spoil
TL.

> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz