[tex-live] tl2010: no backup for auto-removed pkgs

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Sep 15 11:08:43 CEST 2010

On Sep 15, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
>
> > You said that "antp" was replaced by "poltawski" on CTAN.  But there
> > is no way to find this out automatically.  From tlmgr's viewpoint
> > "antp" was removed and "poltawski" is a new package.
>
> there is, in principle, in the sense that the antp stuff now appears on
> ctan:obsolete/, and its catalogue entry and poltawski's document what
> happened.

that's perfectly ok IMHO!

my *only* point was that tlmgr should keep backups for removed packages
(both if it gets removed for licence reasons or for renaming or whatever).

> such changes are sufficiently rare that we've not had pressure to
> provide an package attribute in the catalogue, that records it.
>
> we could, but these things take a *long* time, given our part-time style
> of desultory discussion.  :-(

completely agreed!

thanks,

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\