[tex-live] mptopdf problem: texmf.cnf not found.

Byung-Jae Kwak byung.kwak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 06:54:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:06, Byung-Jae Kwak wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:55 AM, George N. White III wrote:
>>
>>> See the entry "A tail about the Windows Unix shells and MSYS path mangling"
>>> <http://curiousprogrammer.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/enablers-and-obstructors>
>>> for some examples.
>>
>> I am not versed in UNIX enough to understand the blog entry.
>>
>> But, even assuming MSYS has a problem, I still don't understand why
>> this is hapenning. mptopdf is not an MSYS application. If I did not have
>> MSYS installed, I would not be having this problem. Am I wrong?
>
> Judging from PATH, you probably have no special version of Perl
> installed, so it is quite possible that Perl is being called from MSYS
> and that one might mess up some paths.
>
> A while ago I had a problem on computer where ruby was installed under
> cygwin which prevented ConTeXt to work properly.
>
> You may try two things (separately, not both at once):
>
> - Before you install perl, remove all the msys-related variables from
> PATH (Do you know how to set path in bash without having to mess with
> system-wide settings?) My guess is that it might not work at all if
> there's no perl installed.

Do you mean the PATH in ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile?
I don't have .bashrc or .profile in my msys home directory.
I don't usually run MSYS shell, and only occationally run gcc from
CMD.

If you meant something else, could you please give me a more
specific instruction?

> - Install perl (you don't need to install it, it should be enough to
> extract it to some folder) and make sure that path to "native perl"
> comes before msys. It's quite possible that Perl gets installed with
> TeX Live, so it might be enough to figure out where Perl was installed
> and only set the path to see that folder.

As I wrote in another e-mail, I have two perl versions installed -- one
that came with MSYS, and another that came with TeX Live 2009.

The perl that came with MSYS is named "perl.EXE", and the one
that came with TeX Live is "perltex.EXE". If TeX Live needs perl, I suppose
it uses perltex. And, on my system, the path to TeX Live comes before
the path to MSYS.

So, what do I do now?

> Mojca

Best Regards,