[tex-live] kpathsea and poppler or okular

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 13:37:42 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a gentoo linux and started out with texmf packages.  Then
> someday I switched to texlive packages compiled by gentoo.  This year I
> no started to use the binary texlive 2010 distribution and I'm quite
> happy with it, as it keeps TeX completely seperated in a clear folder
> structure, but of course I had to uninstall all texlive packages from
> the gentoo distribution.

You should need to remove Gentoo's TL, just don't create the symbolic links
when you install TL and adjust the PATH to put the TL bin/<arch> directory
before /usr/bin in the PATH.

> As those packages are source compiled, there was a libkpathsea.so.5
> object used at least by the very good document viewer evince, as well as
> by poppler or okular, at least when I enable the DVI viewer ability of
> these general and usefull document viewers.

Yes.  And if you use any non-std. fonts you have to install in parallel for
both Gentoo and CTAN versions of TL since they look for fonts and
put the generated .pk files in different locations.

> Is there some maintained source package for texlive 2010 or how can I
> get a libkpathsea to compile these programs?

The linux distros I have encountered have different organization for the
configuration files, and older kpathsea libraries that don't support the
current texmf.cnf's.   I'm not sure if the kpathsea inferfaces have changed --
it may just be a matter of creating a current shared library version and
replacing the distro version.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia