[tex-live] kpathsea and poppler or okular

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Oct 24 01:49:06 CEST 2010

    Is there some maintained source package for texlive 2010 or how can I
    get a libkpathsea to compile these programs?

As Zdenek said, the development source for kpathsea, web2c, tex, et al.,
is now the texlive svn repository.

I just wanted to add that kpathsea has never officially been released as
a standalone/installable shared library.  I know all the distros do it,
and the sources are set up to build it, we carefully maintain the
version number, etc., but ... no guarantees.  You might be better off
getting the sources not from upstream TL but from gentoo, so as to be
sure they match and include any gentoo-specific changes (that we have no
knowledge of).

Another approach would be to reinstall the gentoo packages and preserve
their libkpathsea before removing them again.

Another approach would be not to remove the system packages at all --
the system TeX and the TL TeX are completely independent (barring
personal environment variables), and which one you get is determined
simply by your path.

Hope this helps,
Karl