[tex-live] Announcing TLContrib

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Oct 19 12:37:27 CEST 2010

Hi Karl, hi all,

On 10/11/2010 06:45 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
> FWIW, I don't think we should necessarily try to support multiple repos
> in tlmgr, because of all the implied new complexity to an
> already-complex program.
>
> It seems to me that it would be feasible, if not necessarily ideal, for
> people who want to use both repos to run
>    tlmgr option repository http://whatever
> as needed.  Perhaps as little wrapper/convenience scripts if desired.
> In any event, that is what has to be done for the foreseeable future.
> Let's let people get some real-life experience with two repos before you
> dive (further) into tlmgr hacking.

It is true that using --repo helps, but OTOH it makes things less clean,
as the alternative repositories have to keep rev numbers in sync,
and I am not only thinking of tlcontrib, but there is at least one
other repository out there.

I really believe that the cleanest solution in the long term is to
support multiple repositories, together with pinning.

BUT: That doesn't mean I will implement it if the changes to the current
tlmgr code base are in no relation to the gain. I have to check and
see how deep into the guts one has to crawl.

If it is possible, then I would be fine with it.

Best

Norbert