[tex-live] Removing the biber package from CTAN

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 16:50:04 CET 2010

Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Remember there are other distributions e.g. MiKTeX. They certainly
> take packaes from CTAN. I am afraid they will not take SW from
> TLcontrib. Out-of-date is often better than nothing.

while this is indeed true, i've seen no sign yet of miktex distribution
of biber.

i don't know if christian schenk reads the tex live list, but he
definitely does read ctan-ann, so he knows now to put any ambitions of
packaging on the back burner.  (he's got plenty to do, anyway.)

i'm pleased i'm not alone in being sad that the package has gone: i
often wonder whether my pleasure at the appearance of a new package is
nothing more than my old stamp-collecting instinct coming out...

robin