[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Nov 16 13:59:42 CET 2010

On Di, 16 Nov 2010, Pander wrote:
> Is it possible to build one myself? Can I ask tlmgr if updates are
> available without upgrading immediately?

>   tlmgr update --list

You answered your own question,
	tlmgr update --list

> For the latter command, only --list implies --list --all. Is it also
> possible to run --list --self? It seems this is not supported because it

update --list *IS* shows *ALL* updates, also those of texlive.infra
(more specifically those of the critical packages).

And if you want to automatize it I recommend reading the section
on MACHINE READABLE in the tlmgr manager, then you can easily parse
that and write a nice cron script, which you hopefully will send
back to the lsit here!

> Last question, is it possible to start tlmgr -gui and have it list only
> the available updates?

Not at the moment, but for that tlmgr gui is anyway overhead, you can
write a very simple gtkdialog or whatever script that informs and then
calls tlmgr update --all --self!

Best wishes

Norbert
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong
and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a
thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually
turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
                 --- One of the laws of computers and programming revealed.