[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Nov 16 10:58:55 CET 2010

Pander wrote:
> On 2010-11-16 00:03, Karl Berry wrote:
>>     1) Can the installer ask if a cron job will be installed
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions, but I really don't want to try to have our
>> program interact with cron.  That would be a huge (and hugely
>> frustrating) effort, for, IMO, a very small return.  People who want to
>> use cron (or "scheduler") to do things should do it themselves.  We are
>> not an operating system.
>>
>> Best,
>> karl
>
> Thanks, also Norbert for your replies.
>
> Is it possible to build one myself? Can I ask tlmgr if updates are
> available without upgrading immediately?
>
> I have tried:
>   tlmgr check
> but that resulted in:
>   diff
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/lfb/ligature.mf
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/wnri/ligature.mf
>   # ot1.cmap
> diff /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/cmap/ot1.cmap
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mmap/ot1.cmap
>   # t1.cmap
> diff /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/cmap/t1.cmap
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mmap/t1.cmap
>   tlmgr: exiting unsuccessfully (status 1).
>
> This is probably checking how sane my installation is. Off topic, but
> how can I fix this since I have only an out of the box installation...
>
> Probably the best way would be:
>   tlmgr update --dry-run --self
>   tlmgr update --dry-run --all
> or
>   tlmgr update --list
>
> For the latter command, only --list implies --list --all. Is it also
> possible to run --list --self? It seems this is not supported because it
> has the same output as --list --all. Should this be fixed?
>
> Last question, is it possible to start tlmgr -gui and have it list only
> the available updates?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pander

I usually just run

tlmgr update --list

that way you can see if there are infra updates, and if there are you
have to run

tlmgr update --self

This is one of the reasons why I do not what to run the updates via
cron, even on Linux

I support Karls opinion that is should not be included in tlmgr, the
various sysadmins should write their own cron scripts if they want to
uoste through cron.

--

/daleif