[tex-live] luatex + cwebmac

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Nov 15 04:38:20 CET 2010

On Sun Nov 14 2010 at 13:46:19 CET, Ingo Krabbe
<mailto:tex-live%40tug.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Btex-live%5D%20luatex%20%2B%20cwebmac&In-Reply-To=%3C20101114124619.GA2454%40ask-laptop%3E>ikrabbe.ask
at gmail.com wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:39:11AM +0000, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > Ingo Krabbe
> <<http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-November/http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/tex-live>ikrabbe.ask
> at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > that leads to
> > >
> > >     $ kpsewhich cwebmac.tex
> > >     /home/ingo/texmf/tex/local/askgeneral/cwebmac.tex
> > >
> > > which is what I expected.
> >
> > however, not what i would expect; i assumed your HOME variable was the
> > equivalent of "~"; it appears from this that it's "~/texmf"
>
>That's true, its $HOME/texmf or ~/texmf
>

> > so kpsewhich is assuming you're looking for a file to run "tex" on.
>
>I assumed that it works just as TEXINPUTS variable, since
>
>===== excerpt from texmf.cnf ====
>% TEXINPUTS is for TeX input files -- i.e., anything to be found by \input
>% or \openin, including .sty, .eps, etc.  We specify paths for all known
>% formats, past or present.  Not all of them are built these days.
>
>% Plain TeX.  Have the command tex check all directories as a last
>% resort, we may have plain-compatible stuff anywhere.
>TEXINPUTS.tex           = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//

kpsewhich (without a -progname option) actually uses the
bare TEXINPUTS, which is
   TEXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/{$progname,generic,}//
And, since tex/kpsewhich/ doesn't exist, it looks first
in tex/generic// and then tex//. Presumably, on your system,
this last search gets to tex/local before tex/plain
On the other hand, luatex uses TEXINPUTS.luatex, set to
   TEXINPUTS.luatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{luatex,plain,generic,}//
which looks in three directories, including tex/plain//,
before it tries tex/local//

On my system, I found it useful to set TEXINPUTS.kpsewhich,
so that a plain kpsewhich file.tex will use it instead of
the not-so-useful TEXINPUTS.

Of course, if you want to know what luatex (or any particular
program) will find, you need to use the -progname option.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Fayetteville, Arkansas