[tex-live] luatex + cwebmac

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 14 12:39:11 CET 2010

Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com> wrote:

> I currently do some experiments on the usage of cwebmac combined with
> luatex, which is quite successfull, until I include tikz.
>
> Anyway, I want modify some cwebmac macros, as I did in the past, so I
> installed some local cwebmac.tex in
>
> 	${HOME)/tex/local/askgeneral/cwebmac.tex
>
> that leads to
>
> 	$ kpsewhich cwebmac.tex
> 	/home/ingo/texmf/tex/local/askgeneral/cwebmac.tex
>
> which is what I expected.

however, not what i would expect; i assumed your HOME variable was the
equivalent of "~"; it appears from this that it's "~/texmf"

so kpsewhich is assuming you're looking for a file to run "tex" on.

> When I now use luatex on some file, converted with cweave I get:
>
> 	$ luatex scan_portage_dir.tex | head
> 	This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.60.2-2010071218 (TeX Live 2010)
> 	(rev 3736)
> 	 restricted \write18 enabled.
> 	 (./scan_portage_dir.tex
> 	 (/usr/share/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/plain/cweb/cwebmac.tex
> 	[...]
>
> But this is no luatex problem, it seems a global installation problem:
>
> 	$ tex scan_portage_dir.tex | head
> 	This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2010)
> 	 encTeX v. Jun. 2004, reencoding enabled.
> 	 (./scan_portage_dir.tex
> 	 (/usr/share/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/plain/cweb/cwebmac.tex)
> 	[...]
>
> Now I'm confused.  What's going wrong here?

you're running plain (lua)tex, so it's looking in $TEXMF/tex/plain or
the like, for files, and your file isn't there.

in the tl distribution it's in texmf-dist/tex/plain/cweb/cwebmac.tex, so
i would assume ~/texmf/tex/plain/cweb/cwebmac.tex would be the place for
it.

robin