[tex-live] Update all installed failed

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Nov 13 13:46:27 CET 2010

Norbert Preining wrote:

>> So how does one update that through the GUI ?
>
>   Options->General
>
>> I do not wish to be difficult, particularly because you are doing
>> your best to help, but if a program such as TLMGR has a GUI interface,
>> then "the average man on the top deck of a Number 53 Clapham Common
>
> Going into Options-General seems to be a quite common activity
> to adjust a programs behaviour.

Well, maybe in the Unix world.  In the Windows world,
we look for such things under Edit/Preferences :-)

>> assumed that "Load default network repository" would do just that.
>
> It does, but only for *that* particular run.

OK, that could usefully be clarified in the interface.  Also
the terminology is inconsistent : "Load default network repository"
v. (Edit/Preferences) "Default remote repository".

>> beebe [330k]: local: 20272, source: 20425 (update)
>
> Well you are *QUITE* out of date ;-)
>
> tlmgr update --all should do the trick.

But isn't that the non-GUI version of what I have been doing
for the last 36 hours : "Update all installed" ???

** Phil.