[tex-live] texworks in TL 2010

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:53:41 CET 2010

2010/11/12 Jörn Clausen <joernc at googlemail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
>> Seriously, someone who can not change (or learn how to change) a single
>> configuration option should not be allowed to touch a computer in the
>> first place. You don't need to spoon feed your users, they are either
>> welling to learn or should be looking somewhere else.
>
> When was the last time you tought a course on a TeX related topic?
>
> In the LaTeX course I give I have exactly the same problem, and I'd
> also like to see the default in TeXworks changed. We are trying our
> best to convince students that there are other solutions than
> Microsoft Word, and IMHO for them LaTeX is the best alternative,
> neither plain TeX nor ConTeXt or anything else. These folks simply are
> not as eloquent with using software as all of you are, and it would
> make things for us giving these courses a little bit easier and allow
> us to explain more important topics, if we have one obstacle less to
> handle.

Reconfiguration of TeXworks is aone-time action. If they use MS Word,
they have to define the template for the document and defining all the
headers etc. takes much more time and must be repeated almost for
every document. How can such students use Word if they are not able to
open a dialog and customize the settings?

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/