[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Nov 12 10:13:53 CET 2010

Am Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:47:47 +0800 schrieb Vladimir Lomov:

>> Well no. Miktex generates "User-Trees" called USERDATA (which
>> contains files generated on-the-fly like FDNB, pk, map-files which
>> don't need a backup) and a USERCONFIG which is in the "roaming"
>> profiles of a user and contains configurations. If a user installs
>> (with the package manager) a package "as user" without the rights to
>> write in the main tree it also goes in this tree (I think - I don't
>> have  a multiuser setup). Packages that you want to install manually
>> can also go in one of this user trees (USERCONFIG would be the
>> senseful one) and so this tree can be seen as the equivalent to
>> TEXMFHOME.

> AFAIK, this feature appear only in MikTeX 2.8 (the last version that I used)
> and in MikTeX 2.9. Prior them there was not such feature. E.g. does
> making %USERPROFILE%/texmf and populating it with tex files (in TDS)
> work with MikTeX _after_ installation? (i.e. install using default
> configuration the MikTeX and create that directory).

I'm not sure I understand. Default configuration of miktex already
creates the user trees. It is rather difficult to avoid it, you can
only create them in other locations.

> AFAIK prior verison
> 2.8 there was only administrator mode for MikTeX Options, so only user
> with administrator rights could install/reinstall/upgrade the system.
> Only after 2.8 user could install "user-specific" packages in mentioned
> directory.

You could also install packages in the user trees in the sense that
you could copy files in the tree and then use them. Only the package
manager couldn't install automatically in the user trees. But the
feature that you can generate a local tree and mount it didn't
change this, you only got a second tree "that can be filled
manually".

--
Ulrike Fischer