[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Nov 11 10:56:10 CET 2010

Vladimir Lomov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> (First I decided to post a new message but thought that there were too
> many posts on topic already.)
>
> ** Norbert Preining [2010-11-10 23:38:21 +0900]:

>>> Or ability to install into $HOME/texmf. If someone want to use
>> That is what user-mode tlmgr is about. It manages TEXMFHOME, so you could
>> use
>> 	tlmgr --user-mode --repo .... install testing-package
>> and it will be installed into your TEXMFHOME, and with remove it will be
>> removed.
>> As said, testers wanted.
>
> I think there are three different request for feature.
>
> 1. Lars Madsen aksed how to add an user directory with tex files. The
>   question raised because MikTeX (up to now?) don't provide any feature
>   like TEXMFHOME that TL provides. So MikTeX user have to add _manually_
>   that directory/ies in MikTex Options programm. Please note, this MikTeX
>   "feature" is due to lack of MikTeX, TL always (AFAIR) provides was to
>   use user directory.
>
>   The answer fir Lars question is
>   a) make sure that the directory is in TDS
>   b) rename that directory to %USERPROFILE%/texmf (this is $HOME/texmf
>   on Windows) or copy material to there.
>   c) that's all
>
>   Again: TL always advices to use TEXMFHOME for user files. THIS IS
>   PREFERED WAY. MikTeX doesn't provide (up to now?) such possibility, SO
>   USER HAVE TO ADD _MANUALLY_ THE DIRECTORY WITH THEY TEX FILES. This is
>   important point. (Sorry for redundant upper case).

and what if the user want to name $HOME/texmf differently or place it on
a different partition?

Actually what I was refering to is much similar to Ulrikes, I think we
used the miktex root feature for this particular user, who is now
switched to TL and cannot access his own files.

so if d:/foo/bar contains a TDS tree, the request is an interface of
some sorts to add this to this persons installation.

--

/daleif