[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Nov 8 23:58:53 CET 2010

On 2010-11-08 23:50, Norbert Preining wrote:

>> I was under the impression if kpsewhich can find a file, then latex can as well.
>
> Wrong impression. Since long long time
>
>> What is going on here?
>
> Read the tds, the texmf.cnf, or simply the emails on the list. Engine dir is missing.
>
> Norbert

see my point in as to how difficult this is? and how confusing this will
be for users? or for people coming from MikTeX to TL

I mean TL is great, and I recommend it to all our users, but it might be
a bit better some make some areas a bit more userfriendly.

Another example is the graphical tlmgr, the long list of packages and
collections seem to confuse a lot of the new users we see at the moment.
If possible, it might be an idea to look into a tab based design and
then hide this list.

To many single user installations all the users need is a button
equivalent to

tlmgr update --all

and perhaps one the might do

tlmgr update --all

BTW:

if I on win7 starts a new dosprompt, and then run

tlmgr --help

I get a long text, but the dosprompt will not let me scroll all the way
back to the start of the text, so basically tlmgr --help is not quite
helpful on win7 unless one knows | more