[tex-live] TEXINPUTS on windows

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 7 00:51:10 CET 2010

Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:

> On 2010-11-06 21:48, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> >[...]
> > Presumably you mean texmfhome? Which has the advantage that no
> > filename database needs updating.
> >
> > I advise very inept users just to keep extra stylefiles with the
> > documents which need them because I see no way to make them
> > understand the TDS.
> >
> > <rant>I am annoyed as hell that so many people nowadays don't know their
> > way around on their own system.</rant>
>
> which normal LaTeX user know about texmfhome?

some do -- if they've a sys-admin who's had to sort them out.

of course, texmfhome is a snare and a delusion for those of us whose
home directory is stored on an nfs server: people *keep* claiming that
you don't need an ls-r file for texmfhome -- which is tosh, in this
case.

*every* case of dire tex performance at my place of work has arisen from
a large localtexmf with no ls-r (really!)

robin