[tex-live] TEXINPUTS on windows

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sat Nov 6 19:20:54 CET 2010

On 2010-11-06 15:13, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Fri, 05 Nov 2010 14:35:11 +0100 schrieb Lars Madsen:
>
>> Given a TL10 on windows and a user who has a dir with his own private
>> packages, say C:\mytexstuff
>>
>> How do we add this to TEXINPUTS in TL10?
>>
>> MikTeX has a very easy interface for this, but I have no idea as to how
>> one should add this on TL10. I assume it is texmf.cnf in texlive/2010/,
>> but I cannot figure out the syntax
>
> I have some doubts that adding something to TEXINPUTS is the
> equivalent to the miktex interface. Miktex knows also TEXINPUTS but
> it isn't meant to add a complete root.
>
> At my opinion you are looking for a way to add C:\mytexstuff (which
> should be a TDS) as a new root to e.g. TEXMFLOCAL.

to me adding something like the miktex interface would be favorable what
ever it is that it does.

useful for users to place some of their own common stuff.

Personally I don't like placing stuff inside the texlive tree, too easy
to forget that it is there if one if switching to say miktex and want to
just delete what ever texlive is on the system.

Many of the users I see today do not know much about computers, so
telling them to set an environment variable is an almost impossible task.

/daleif