[tex-live] apparent bug in detex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Nov 4 22:55:42 CET 2010

On 4 November 2010 cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

 > On Wed 3rd Nov, 2010 at 09:32, Zdenek Wagner seems to have written:
 >
 > > You should report a bug in it, it is obviously improperly
 > > compiled. I use it regularly even for books with 500+ pages.
 >
 > Very likely. But since it was compiled by me and I have no idea
 > what to do about it, complaining about its being improperly
 > compiled while potentially cathartic is unlikely to be productive.

Since the other programs are also slow, it's possible that the problem
is related to a shared library.  But I have no idea how to track it
down.

If you compile a program yourself using the commands proposed in the
INSTALL file (usually ./configure && make && make install), and it
doesn't work, there is nothing wrong to send a bug report.

However, your version of poppler seems to be quite old and it's very
unlikely that anybody fixes bugs in software which is already
released.  Thus it's better to try the latest development release.

Another thing you could try is to install xpdf.  If you don't need
xpdf itself, you can run

./configure --with-x=no

and then you get:

configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find Motif
configure: WARNING: -- You will be able to compile pdftops, pdftotext,
        pdfinfo, pdffonts, and pdfimages, but not xpdf or pdftoppm

which is certainly ok for you.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25