[tex-live] TeX Live installation tools

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:45:10 CET 2010

** Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) [2010-11-03 16:16:35 +0000]:

> Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>

>>On the local machine.[snip]
>
> OK, but the original scenario installed everything on
> the server, so there would be no local equivalent of
> TEXMF<whatever>, nor would the user have had any
> say in where TEXMF<whatever> went, so might this
> lead to said innocent user getting PKs installed
> on his C: drive even though he/she otherwise
> reserves C: solely for Windows and other official
> Microsoft stuff, and would prefer to have his/her
> PKs on D: or wherever ?
On that Windows machine in %USERPROFILE% was create .texlive2010
directory. Is it enough information? IMHO, may be ten-twenty years ago
the use of already generated PK fonts on server by clients were benefit
but now it is not.

The idea with that server was to have ONE place to store 'main' files
(and I wouldn't specify what I mean 'main', it is more or less clear),
binaries while user generated files (MF, TFM, PK) should be on they
machines.

Of course, if server already has MF/TFM/PK files then clients could only
benefit it (though it is job of sys admin to have that files but this is
details).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
...Another writer again agreed with all my generalities, but said that as an
inveterate skeptic I have closed my mind to the truth.  Most notably I have