[tex-live] TeX Live installation tools

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:37:44 CET 2010

** Lars Madsen [2010-11-03 17:28:06 +0100]:

> Lars Madsen wrote:
>>Hi, I think in earlier years there were some extra tools or ideas
>>for scripts meant for special installations.
>>
>>Do we still have those scripts somewhere?
>>
>>For install parties it is a bit too slow to install from the net,
>>or from USB.
>>
>>So I wanted to simply take a given TL10 installation from a
>>windows and transfer it to another.
>>
>>As far as I know, one would then only have to add a script to
>>integrate it into windows, (given that the location was the same
>>on both computers).
>>
>>Then the installation is down to the transfer time from a USB
>>stick, which is a lot better.
>>
>>(Yesterday we started a weekly LaTeX Lab here where I work, and at
>>the beginning we will spend most of the time helping users to
>>install TL, so the faster the better).
>>

> hmm, seems one need some steps to make this easier.
>
> I'm just trying to copy C:/texlive to a USB stick, laptop tells me
> that will take it some 3 hours to complete, need to copy some 100k
> files).
>
> Might be better to make a rar archive and provide unpacking tools on
> the USB sticks.
In that case I used a tar archive :). Really some time ago I had to
install TL on two platform (windows and linux) that temporary didn't
have access to the Internet, so I downloaded at home the whole TL
(sorry, actually I do rsync) make a tar archive copy it on USB stick and
copy from stick to the temp directory.

Of course I could do the same procedure with installed TL root, it would
only take a time to
 - make an archive
 - copy it on USB (very long but seems less than to copy each signle
   files)
 - copy archive from USB stick
 - untar (install or do postactions as Norbet said).

If the machines on which TL is installed have network access to 'master'
machine it would be much faster to copy over local net to that machines.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
The goys have proven the following theorem...
		-- Physicist John von Neumann, at the start of a classroom