[tex-live] Off topic: copying tlnet

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Nov 2 16:40:58 CET 2010

On Di, 02 Nov 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> (Wien) is currupted, so I wanted to try out rsync just for fun ...

ouch .. tuwien.ac.at? If yes let me know and I complain ;-)

> sudo tlmgr option repository
> rsync://rsync.dante.ctan.org/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet

rsync is not supported as tlmgr repository.

> But using rsync that way apparently doesn't work, or at least it
> doesn't work here.

It does not work.

> 1.) Is there any list similar to
> http://miktex.org/pkg/Repositories.aspx that would also check health
> of repositories? The file http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/CTAN.sites
> apparently doesn't really help me since

The CTAN mirrors *should * be checked, otherwise they normally get
kicked.

> 2.) When talking about "educating users to use rsync" ... I consider
> myself a "lover of rsync" (after all, the TeX installation that I
> provide is completely and only rsync-based), but still I have no idea
> how I could use rsync for updating TeX Live (provided that I don't
> want a second copy of "the whole CTAN" on my local hard drive as an
> intermediate repository). Can anyone explain me how to use rsync for
> TeX Live?

There is no other way but rsyncing the whle of tlnet to local disc
and install from there. This is what I am doing.

Best wishes

Norbert