[tex-live] Detex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Mon Nov 1 11:20:26 CET 2010

Hello!

Recently on the Mac OS X TeX list a discussion started why detex from
TeX Live 2010 does not count the words in footnote texts when in LaTeX
mode. I looked into texk/detex/detex-2.8/detex.l to find a possible
explanation for this. Instead I found a few misspelling in that file:

   256	<Normal>"\\sunparagraph"{Z}			;
   457					ErrorExit("-e option requires and argument");
   576		    ErrorExit("The environtment list contains too many
environments");

On line #256 a "subparagraph" is written as "sunparagraph," on line
#457 the word "and" should be "an", and on line #576 the first
"environtment" should be an "environment".

The patch files don't seem to correct these occurrences.

In any case, whether it's decided to count words in a \footnote{} text
in LaTeX mode or not (could be made an option), couldn't the test.tex
file become a \footnote{just for test use} to be alarmed when detex
fails with footnotes?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
				– Elbert Hubbard