[tex-live] Behaviour of texdoc script

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun May 30 16:55:18 CEST 2010

Le 30/05/2010 11:35, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
> At some time in TeX Live 2009 the texdoc script lost its ability to
> start its search for documentation in the current working directory. I
> therefore preferred TL '08 a lot, because texdoc was set up in AUCTeX
> for my Emacsen as viewer for all *TeX output.

I wasn't aware texdoc was used this way.

The change was intentional, since I tend to think of texdoc more as a
documentation locator than a documentation viewer in general, and from a
searching POV, looking in ./ is not very interesting (plus, there was a
complaint about something related to this).

> Could that splendid behaviour from TL '08 be re-introduced for TeX Live
> 2010? The work one puts into configuring texdoc could then easily be
> recycled in TeX related software.

It just so happens, I recently introduced the (for now undocumented, but I'll
change that since it seems to be useful) option --just-view that does just that:
open the given file (full name (or even path) expected) in the viewer used by
texdoc, precisely for that purpose (sharing viewer settings between texdoctk and
texdoc).

I hope it fulfils your needs.

Manuel.