[tex-live] ptex building fails (fix)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 30 11:07:17 CEST 2010

There's one more issue. Compiling the following file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[slovene]{babel}
\begin{document}
abcčšž
\end{document}

"fails" with:

> platex ptex-latex.tex
This is pTeXk, Version 3.1415926-p3.1.11 (utf8.euc) (TeX Live 2010/pretest)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
(./ptex-latex.tex
pLaTeX2e <2006/11/10> (based on LaTeX2e <2009/09/24> patch level 0)
Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, ukenglish, ba
sque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak, german, ngerman, danish, esperan
to, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, farsi, finnish, french, irish, greek,
 monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian, interlingua, ibycus, bahasa, ice
landic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk, polish, portuguese, pinyin, ro
manian, russian, slovenian, samin, uppersorbian, serbian, swedish, turkish, ukr
ainian, dumylang, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/Users/mojca/soft/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
(/Users/mojca/soft/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/slovene.ldf
(/Users/mojca/soft/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.def)

Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `Slovene'
(babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

)) (./ptex-latex.aux)

It seems that "ptex's version of babel" doesn't properly handle
language synonyms. But I may just as well be wrong. After renaming
slovene.sty into slovenian.sty (and some more fixes inside that file)
or after switching slovene and slovenian in language.ptx it all
started working just fine.

I don't say that you need to fix language.ptx (I do not expect any
Slovenian to run ptex, so you may ignore my observation), but it might
make sense to look into the issue of synonym handling. It doesn't need
to be done straight away though.

Mojca

PS: I have just realized that the default hyphenmin values are not set
in slovene.ldf, so the values 2/3 are used by default, but they should
be 2/2.