[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

taco taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 25 22:42:37 CEST 2010

George N. White III wrote:

> Is there an equivalent to the "-sys" with "context --make"?

No. This is the single-user problem Norbert was talking about earlier.

> On linux, I don't have $TMP set, just $TMPDIR, and I ended up with
> ~/luatex-cache.   Since the cache depends on the contents of the
> texmf trees, the cache should go to something like ~/.texlive2010

This is not that important: the context luatex cache contains
an md5sum of the directory location of data it is cacheing, and
these directories already contain '2010' in them somewhere.

The problem is that because there is no separation between -sys
and non-sys, either everything of all users is shared, or nothing
at all is shared. The second seems the lesser evil to me.

> so as not to confuse TL2011 (I suppose we could leave TL2010
> alone and remember to adjust TL2011).

I don't know the right variable to select the user's home scratch
space in texlive (I do not normally use texlive) even though I
know there is one. So my proposal was to add

   TEXMFCACHE=~/.texlive2010 % or whatever

It will result in multiple formats (one for each user on the harddisk)
but at least they will not get into eachother's way. Disk space is
cheap enough these days, I think.

Best wishes,
Taco