[tex-live] setting up babel in TeX-Live - language selection

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon May 24 04:32:11 CEST 2010

On So, 23 Mai 2010, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> > How can I change the suported languages with
> > an existing installation of TeX Live?
> >
> Hum, why do you want to change this? Additional language won't make tour
> document longer to compile, or the resulting pdf bigger.

Agreed, and with a current computer it does not hurt the loading time
either, unless you feel the difference of a few milliseconds?

> > I found a language.dat file (windows) in
> > "C:\texlive\2009\texmf\tex\generic\config" which seems

No that is definitely the wrong one. THe right one is in
	texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.*
but it will be rewritten by tlmgr update procedure.

> > What do I have to respect if I would like to change
> > that settings in TeX-Live?
> >
> You should disable language with entries in
>
> c:\texlive\texmf-local\tex\generic\config\language-local.dat
>
> like
>
> %!french
> %!greek

That is documented in the documentation of tlmgr ... so you might
read through the section of "generate" acton of it.

> > But it would be good if the TL Update Manager will
> > update all languages when updating, not only the
> > selected ones.

If you disable the languages as described above tlmgr will still
update them,

> > Btw and to the developers:
> > It would be gould if a user can change the settings after
> > the installation and tlmgr sould be extended by such a dialog.
> >
> There is no point in disabling languages IMHO.

And in addition, there is an easy way:
	tlmgr remove collection-lang-foobar
f you don't need it, why do you install it?

Best wishes

Norbert