[tex-live] Install on a network (Samba server and Windows desktops)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri May 21 21:21:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/5/21 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
>> Le 21/05/2010 17:19, Denis Bitouzé a écrit :

>>> Almost everything went very smoothly!
>>>
>>> The last remaining trouble is that I do use Evince as a .dvi, .ps
>>> and .pdf viewer either on Linux and Windows boxes. And, trying to view
>>> the .dvi file fails as Evince is looking for the texmf.cnf file in his
>>> subdirectories. But I will investigate this a bit more...
>>>
>> It's a problem also on Linux when you get Evince from your Linux distro and TeX
>> Live not from the distro, IIRC. If you manage to solve it, I'm curious to know
>> the solution.
>>
> On Linux it might be sufficient to (sym)link TL's texmf.cnf to the
> directory where Evince expects it.

I tried that a year or so ago, but couldn't make it work after a few
minutes.  My TL has several added texmf trees, so is not the
vanilla configuration.

I suspect similar kpathsea versions are needed.  Recent kpathsea has an
include mechanism that wasn't supported  when I last tried to use evince
with TL.   Maybe  it would be possible to write a custom texmf.cnf using
the values in TL's version, or maybe current evince uses a more
current library.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia