[tex-live] tlmgr ftp issues?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 20 11:00:59 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> > If that's a correct diagnosis, then I think tlmgr should be changed so
> > it uses passive ftp by default (or at least has a configuration option
> > to do so), since I suspect that traditional ftp (active ftp?) will work
> > only in a vanishingly small number of cases nowadays.
>
> I disagree, it is a bit strange that the firewall disables all high ports
> incoming, but well, policies differ.

a firewall that allows anything unchecked is an open invitation to
hackers.  we're a significant institution for network research, and our
gateway operates a policy of "anything not explicitly permitted is
forbidden".

(note that ftp.tex.ac.uk is in the dmz, and so does allow active ftp.)

> If the FTP_PASSIVE=1 mode works, that should be an easy work around.

i agree.  but i do in fact agree with tim's suggestion.  and even more
so that mirror.ctan should *never* specify ftp when there's an http
connection available.

robin