[tex-live] oberdiek package update failure

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:31:47 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 06:19, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>
>> On Mo, 17 Mai 2010, Adam Mercer wrote:
>>> Installation of new version of oberdiek did fail, trying to unwind.
>>> Restoring old package state succeeded.
>>> skipping forcibly removed package oberdiek
>>
>> That is something that makes me nervous. Unwinding and reinstalling
>> should not *remove* oberdiek. Something really bad happened there.
>
> The OP is on a Mac.  These problems happen in our lab when user
> runs updates at the console using the MacTeX GUI tools and then
> tries to install a package using tlgmr at the command line without
> "sudo" or resetting permissions using "chown -R" (I recommend
> the latter -- root should not be used to do anything more complicated
> than adjusting permissions).

This happened on package 13 when 56 needed updating, this was the only
package that failed. The remain installed without issue.

> "really bad" things can happen when the disk is full, the filesystem
> is corrupt or has "bad" permissions, or some hardware is broken -- if this
> were my machine and the permissions were OK I'd check for a full disk,
> look at  the logs and smartctl output, and consider running disk and
> hardware tests.

The filesystem is good, I just ran a complete filesystem check over
the weekend, and its not full:

$ df -h /usr/local
Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2   70Gi   53Gi   17Gi    76%    /
$

Cheers

Adam