[tex-live] PS_View

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 29 22:54:40 CEST 2010

On 29 March 2010 Robin Fairbairns wrote:

 > Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
 >
 > >  (some CTAN ftp servers were refusing anonymous
 > > connections : security lockdown ?)
 >
 > since you quote no date or time, it's not really possible to investigate
 > this.  i know of no reason (other than overload) that any of the ctan
 > servers might be refusing connections, and there's been nothing
 > mentioned on the ctan mirrors list.
 >
 > if you experience problems again, please let ctan at dante.de know asap, so
 > that the issue can be investigated.

It's sometimes helpful to try this link:

  http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

I occasionally encountered temporary ploblems with name servers,
especially with that of my ISP.  And sometimes Firefox claims that a
server is down or doesn't exist at all while wget can access it.
Don't know why.

It's often helpful to run wget from the command line and try to
download a tiny file.  wget provides useful diagnostic messages:

  $ wget ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/timestamp
  --2010-03-29 21:43:20--  ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/timestamp
             => `timestamp'
  Resolving ftp.tex.ac.uk... 128.232.104.10
  Connecting to ftp.tex.ac.uk|128.232.104.10|:21... connected.
  Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
  [...]

Thus, under Windows it makes sense to copy tlpkg/installer/wget/wget.exe
to a directory which is in %PATH%.

As far as shutdown periods due to maintenance of CTAN nodes are
concerned, I vaguely remember that they are announced in advance on
mailing lists.  And it's extremely unlikely that two nodes are down at
the same time.  My impression is that CTAN is extremely reliable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25