[tex-live] Supportfiles for affordable Fontsite fonts - why not on CTAN?

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Wed Mar 17 23:48:14 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 16 March 2010 Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>  > Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>  >
>  > > From Fontsite, you can get e.g. a Bembo (Bergamo), Garamond,
>  > > Sabon (Savoy), Futura (Function), Optima (Opus), all with small
>  > > caps, oldstyle figures, and many others more...
>  > >
>  > > ...for ~15$ each (!). For a complete family.
>  > >
>  > > Is there anything wrong with these fonts that an amateur like me
>  > > can't spot from the PDF samples?
>  >
>  > Without looking at the fonts themselves, and looking only at
>  > the price, I would suspect that they are clones : low-price
>  > rip-offs from which the original type designer gets not
>  > a single penny by way of licence fee.
>
> Not necessarily.  Hermann Zapf told me that the Palatino fonts
> provided by Bitstream and URW were created by him.  They couldn't be
> called "Palatino" because Linotype registered the name "Palatino" as a
> trademark.  Hermann Zapf is not happy with it.

if you want to know more about the history of the FontSite fonts (and
there seems to be the original (!) Palatino by Hermann Zapf included),
these may be of interest:

  http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/#MEGAFONT
  http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/megafont.pdf
  http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/megafont2.pdf
  http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/#FORGERS
  http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/forgers.pdf

...the last one tells the difference between Monotype and Linotype :-)

Regards, Hartmut