[tex-live] What to provide from DVD TeX Collection for the doggy bag?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Jun 15 17:53:12 CEST 2010

Coucou Denis,

Le 15/06/2010 17:28, Denis Bitouzé a écrit :
> For our visitors, I'd like to provide on some computers a set of
> necessary (and sufficient) elements from the official DVD TeX
> Collection 2009 that allows them, by copying it on their USB stick, to
> install a complete TeX Live 2009 on their own boxes. The whole DVD is
> too big!
>
> From the DVD, I guess I have to copy:
>
>   1. of course the whole TeX Live directory (I'm afraid because that's
>   what I'm doing and it takes a very long time: I hope copying it from
>   the computers to the USB sticks will be OK);

An alternative way for that part is to get a copy of tlnet from a nearby mirror
using your preferred downloading tool. Eg,

rsync -av
rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/mirrors/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/
texlive/

You can run ./install-tl (or install-tl.bat) from the resulting texlive
directory as usual. The advantages are:
- the distribution is compressed, so it takes less space on the USB stick
- there are fewer files (\le 8 000 vs \ge 80 000) which means the copy (and
installation) may be much faster
- it's more up-to-date

>   2. the MacTeX directory;
>
>   3. the Setup directory.
>
> I guess it is sufficient (and necessary ;) If somebody has some advices
> to let me know, I'll be very happy!

Sounds fine to me.

Happy teaching,
Manuel.