[tex-live] TeXLive installation from live distribution cd/dvd?

Manfred Lotz manfred at dante.de
Wed Jun 2 17:46:09 CEST 2010

Hi George,

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:29:39 -0300
"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Manfred Lotz <manfred at dante.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > In Germany a guy complained that the TeXLive installation didn't
> > work from his Puppy live distribution CD.
> >
> > The error message said that Usage.pm was not found. Actually,
> > Usage.pm is part of most Linux distributions in either the Perl
> > package itself or in some perl-module package as in Ubuntu.
>
> Was the user able to get around the problem?   I've run into
> similar

He didn't try and also was very rude in his tone just saying something
like "the TeXLive people should fix those errors" without asking what
could be wrong or what could be done to mitigate the situation.
Fortunately, he didn't give a due date for fixing it. :-)

I didn't want to go into a deeper discussion.

> > My question: How do we deal with such kind of installations? If we
> > say we don't support (although it might work) TeXLive installation
> > from Linux live cds/dvds then perhaps we should state it in the
> > documentation.
>
> It should be sufficient to state that TL can be installed on many
> linux distributions, but that in some cases it will be necessary to
> install supporting packages.

Yep, this sounds pretty good.

Now wait to see what Karl's opinion is.

Thanks to you and the others for your feedback.

--
Best,
Manfred