[tex-live] some comments and questions about gui

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 20:13:01 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 19:20, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> On Di, 01 Jun 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> - gui that shows packages doesn't scale too well (if I extend it, the
>> lightblue-darkblue pattern stops at some point; it's not possible to
>> change width of column)
>
> True, that is because the columns have a fixed width.
>
>> - If I want to see the version of 'plain', I cannot - it spans into
>> two rows since the version is so long
>
> On Unix it fits. Strange.
>
>> - What do I need to do if I want better documentation for hyphen-foo packages?
>
> And if that does not suffice, edit all the hyphen-*.tlpsrc files
> to include shortdesc, longdesc.

Thanks. I plan to do that.

>> - When viewing package information and one scales the window, text
>> should stay on left and the window showing files should extend at
>> least downwards, but also to the right might be nice as well
>
> Well, if you are able to program that in Perl/Tk, please go ahead.

If I was only able to run it ...

I used to program some things in Ruby/Tk, but it's a pain to even
install anything here.

>> - I'm not sure that I understand "Match"/"pattern" and how exactly it
>> works (so I don't know how to translate it).
>
> It works like
>        tlmgr search XXXXX
> ie searches packge names, short/long descriptions for the keyword.

But why is there a checkbox + text box? Shouldn't textbox suffice?

>> - In "general options"/windows/non-admin the last three options seem
>> to be left-aligned, while the rest is middle-aligned.
>
> Really? Can you send me a screen shot? I would be surprised since
> all options widgets are packed in the same loop, thus the same way.

(sent off-list; if anyone else is interested, feel free to forward or
upload somewhere or ...)

>> - How can one translate messages such as "tlmgr: no updates available" etc.?
>
> YOu cannot, as it is not a message of tlmgrgui, but of tlmgr.pl itself.
> tlmgr messages are currently not translatable.

OK, no problem. (That means less strings to translate :)

Mojca