[tex-live] textlive seems to ignore top of home tree

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 18:26:41 CEST 2010

2010/7/22 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that a "first time user" changes class files and put
>> them into TEXMFHOME????? Are you joking or is that serious?
>>
>> The OP asked about a changed .cls file ...
>
> But the first-time user isn't necessarily the author
> of said .cls file. He/she may be a new postgrad,
> just starting in a High Energy Physics group somewhere,
> and will almost certainly acquire some locally customised
> files from those already there.  That is certainly
> how things were at Royal Holloway : I can't imagine that
> things are substantially different at any University
> that you have experienced.

I sometimes do it too, but I tell th user:

1. If he or she is very inexperienced, I say "put it to the direcotry
containing your document"

2. If he or she can undestand the concept of directories, I say
"create such a directory and put it there", or if the package consists
of several files, I create a TDS-compliant zip and explain how to
unpack it

3. The best way is to maintain a network installation so that the
users just mount it and everything is on proper places automatically.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/