[tex-live] [OT] Re: patterns generation & editing

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Jul 10 14:52:47 CEST 2010

Le 10/07/2010 12:07, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
> Almost totally off-topic, but I though this was a fun subject.

Right. Thank you for you very detailed explanations, I learned quite a lot.

Meanwhile, I heard of a very interesting article in the Cahiers Gutenberg (in
French) about French hyphenation patterns and the work done on them in 1994:
comparison of the different set of patterns existing at that time, automated
testing of the patterns over a large database of hyphenated French words, and
manual correction and extension of the pattern list in order to correctly
hyphenate the words in this database).

http://cahiers.gutenberg.eu.org/cg-bin/feuilleter?id=CG_1994___18

Anyway, the conclusion of this sub-thread about whether pattern files are their
own source seems to be: it depends. (Which is probably not that surprising,
after all.)

MAnuel.