[tex-live] your eqexam package

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jul 9 15:34:08 CEST 2010

On 9 July 2010 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

 > I can only second Staszek's wise words.

Phil, I assume that you think that TeX Live's policy is too
restrictive.  But please keep in mind that this is not only TeX Live's
policy, almost every open source O/S insists on the sources too.
Most TeX users on Linux are using a TeX Live shipped by the Linux
distro they are using and it would be a pity if Linux distributors
can't ship TL as it is.

Many packages were removed from TL or not included at all due to
license issues or missing sources.  I think it's unfair to make an
exception only because some people like a particular package.

In many cases removal of packages could be prevented by asking the
authors to adapt their licences, in many other cases packages had to
be removed because the authors couldn't be reached anymore.  In this
case the situation is quite clear, it's the authors decision.

Removing packages from TL breaks existing documents, hence it's best
to remove them as soon as possible, i.e. before even more people rely
on them.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > --------
 > Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
 >
 >  > Ahhh... really pity. For me those packages are the pearls! And all macros
 >  > are signed LPPL anyway. We have so many packages without doc sources
 >  > (like fonts or context), so I still cannot understand why we have such
 >  > restrictions. I dare swear that for open source packages
 >  > we use too much restrictions, or, hmmm... how to say, political
 >  > (american :) correctness. All in all:
 >  > - the program, macro, font IS open source;
 >  > - why we cannot give freedom to the developers to add (also freely
 >  > distributable and readable) the documentation, which is not real,
 >  > workable part of the package itself?
 >  >
 >  >>>> I believe we went over this before, all my manuals are written with
 >  >> YandY
 >  >>>> TeX, with my own special macros and fonts. A person would not be
 >  >>>> able to
 >  >>>> compile the document from its source, so what's the point.
 >  >
 >  > Just the case, as Don Story kindly explained.
 >  >
 >  > All the best,
 >  >
 >  > ----