[tex-live] can you remove a package from TeXLive?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:51:55 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In my view, there is no point putting something that can only be used with
>> one 3rd party app in TL -- it just makes work for all concerned.  TL and
>> MiKTeX both make it easy to include additional texmf trees -- why not tell
>> sage to RTF {TL,miktex} M and add a sagetex texmf tree, which would
>> need to be included in the distribution?
>

> It was my point of view with Asymptote. However if sagetex.sty is
> automatically installed into texmf-local (as asymptote does when
> compiling/installing from the source) then it takes priority over  its
> counterpart in texmf-dist

Using texmf-local for newer versions is risky -- when an even newer
version does appear on CTAN and makes it to a package you have to
remember to remove the old version from texmf-local.   Around here,
texmf-local gets copied across multiple machines, so it is nice if it
is the same everywhere.  I sometimes create a texmf-updates for
things that are slow to get into TL if we need them to fix a broken
document or for tests.

> Victor
> --
> Victor Ivrii, Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Toronto
> http://www.math.toronto.edu/ivrii

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia