[tex-live] Comments on texlive 2008 to 2009

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jan 18 05:25:48 CET 2010

On So, 17 Jan 2010, peter wilson wrote:
> o I went with the suggested No Symlinks and updated the PATH environment
> to use texlive 2009 before the 2008 and 2007 editions. When testing I
> kept getting the 2008 contents. After much tribulation I found that I
> must have requested symlinks when installing 2008. Deleting everything
> in /usr/local/bin eventually cured the problem. It could be beneficial
> to add a comment to the Guide that this, as well as an incorrect PATH,
> can lead to the correct programs not being found.

Yes, that of course can be a problem ...

> o I have several third party fonts (e.g. WebOMints) and they were not
> accessible after moving from 2008 to 2009. I discovered that I had to
> run updmap-sys for each of the map files for these fonts. I had followed
>  waht appeared to be the `standard' suggestion of putting the map files
> into TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/map/dvips/... It appears that updmap is run for
> map files in the standard distribution at installation time. It would
> make life much easier for users like me if the map files located under
> TEXMFLOCAL were also updmaped when TeXLive was installed.

Only by putting fonts into these directories they will not be activated.

You have to call updmap-sys for each map file, or you can put the
map files in TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap-local.cfg and call
	tlmgr generate updmap
Please see the documentation of tlmgr generate for that. That is the
way I do manage my local fonts.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force