[tex-live] Decompressing and Installing Problem

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Jan 16 10:08:40 CET 2010

Hi Cornelis,

> What can I do (exept giving up)?

Many things ;-) ...

> I am starting my roots with texlive, and downloaded the iso.xz source.
> Unfortunately, I was not able to decompress it with my winRar or 7-zip
> on windows.

For Windows: If you can use the cmd line (cmd.exe), get
http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/xz/xz.exe
and use it to decompress the .iso.xz
But then you need something to mount it, or you burn it onto a DVD.
DaemonTools come to my mind (I use it often) which creates a virtual
CD/DVD drive and can mount .iso images.

> So I tried on my Debian server where the decompression didn't work. The
> proposed xz-utils cannot be installed, as they are missing on the
> repository. A try with the original release didn't work either.

Strange, which release? stable/testing/unstable?
Depending on your architecture you can download either
http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/xz/xz.i386-linux
or
http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/xz/xz.x86_64-linux
and use that for decompression. Then you can mount the iso image
with either fuseiso, or if you can get root access, with
	mount -o loop,ro texlive2009.iso /whatever/directory
(you have to create /whatever/directory).

> data, the installation stopped with following error:
> untarring D:\texlive\2009\temp\xetex.win32.tar failed
>
> I have repeated the installation several times, but the result remains
> the same on my XP prof. SP3 system (remaining 3GB FAT32 disk space).

That is *really* strange and we have not seen something similar.

Did you *remove* everything in D:\texlive\2009 before restarting?
BEFORE (!!!!) DELETING, please send me/us the xetex.win32.tar ....

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force