[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Jan 14 04:44:22 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:38:58PM +0100, Andreas Matthias wrote:
> Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
>
> > nobody but you and Robin have stated they use old PDF software on a regular
> > basis.
>
> Well, they are not the only ones.
>
> Although I do have recent pdf viewers and actually use them too,
> I had configured texdoc to use AR5. It was much faster than newer
> ARs then and that mattered especially when opening documentation,
> looking up certain things for a few seconds, and then closing it
> again. Only recently (a few weeks ago) I configured texdoc to use
> AR9 which starts quite fast but I still feel the difference.

You can always use another viewer, there are many free (as in freedom
and free of fee) viewers that are much faster than Adobe Reader (even
Evince has a windows version now), I don't think there are many package
documentation that do fancy stuff like microtype.pdf and you can resort
to Adobe Reader for those isolated case. I never use any version of
Adobe Reader by default myself (it is just too slow to be of any
practical use anyway) and I'm quit happy.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny